beatrice

beatrice

Let's talk books! :)

June Reviews (2013)

Song of the Sparrow - Lisa Ann Sandell Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card The Invention of Hugo Cabret - Brian Selznick Beautiful Creatures the Manga - Kami Garcia Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell Prodigy - Marie Lu

Song Of The Sparrow - Lisa Ann Sandell

I preferred the second half of this book to the first half just because it had more adventure. I understand the book had to set up the scene, but still. Overall, I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars because I did enjoy the story.

Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1) - Orson Scott Card

I love this book! I liked how at the beginning of each chapter there was a conversation, it kept things moving. The end though - amazing! If I had to try and convince you to read this book for one reason I would say read it for the surprise you'll get once you've reached the end. I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars. It's a new favorite of mine.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret - Brian Selznick

This one also took me awhile to get in to, but I think it's a great children's book told wonderfully through pictures and text. The ending was a little bit cheesy and a little bit magical. Everything a children's book ending should be. 4 out of 5 stars.

Beautiful Creatures the Manga - Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl and art by Cassandra Jean

Now I have never read the actual novel of Beautiful Creatures, but I know everyone's obsessed with it and that two of my friends really enjoyed the movie. I picked this book up because it looked like fun and it was fun. A quick, easy read that got straight to the point. Although the actual book is quite long and the manga/graphic novel is quite short so it makes me wonder what parts of the story they had to leave out/chose to leave out. I think this is more of a book for the fans of the actual series than just a stand alone manga/graphic novel series. I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars because I liked it, but it's not my favorite.

Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell

I went into this book knowing there was lot of hype about it and the whole story kind of took me by surprise. I knew it was about two teenagers slowly falling in love and that was really all I'd heard about it. So when darker themes started creeping up I was kind of suprised. It's not a dark book, but it's not all light and fluffy either. I personally thought the book was lovely. I just feel like lovely is the right word to describe this book. 4 out of 5 stars.

Prodigy: A Legend Novel - Marie-Luise Kreuter

Prodigy is the sequel to Legend by Marie Lu and, personally, I enjoyed Prodigy more, which was great because it's really hard to write a sequel that even matches up with it's predecessor. I don't really know why I enjoyed Prodigy more since I feel like the elements were the same in both books - fast-paced, characters you love, action, etc. I think I just preferred this book's story. It's a continuation of the first book, but I think it was the characters that really made it for me. I don't know, is this even making sense? 4.5 out of 5 stars.